1. The U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command (USASMDC) Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Office, Huntsville, AL, announces interest in receiving research and development proposals with technical and cost presentations. Proposals submitted should include new ideas and advanced and innovative concepts for current and emerging principles. The technology proposal categories are:
(a) Sensor Technologies Including: 1. Seismic/Radionuclide/Infrasound; 2. Remote Sensing; 3. Hyperspectral; 4. Acoustics; 5. RF; 6. IR; 7. Optics and Mirrors; 8. Dual or Multiple Applications; (b) Systems Technologies Including: 1. Development/Integration/Test; 2. Space/Space Exploitation; 3. Power/Propulsion; 4. Guidance/Navigation/Control; 5. Robotics/Miniaturization; 6. Acquisition/Pointing/Tracking; 7. Simulation/Modeling; 8. Military Operations in Urban Terrain; 9. BMC3I; 10. Dual/Multiple Application; (c) Hardware/Software Technologies Including: 1. Development; 2. Integration; 3. Dual/Multiple Application; 4. Simulation/Modeling.
2. Responses are requested from responsible organizations (foreign and domestic) including those from private industry, academic institutions, research institutions and non-profit organizations. Any allied participation will be at the unclassified level.
3. All responsible sources capable of satisfying the Governments needs may submit a proposal that shall be considered by the SMDC DARPA office. Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU and Minority Institutions (MI) are encouraged to submit proposals and join others in submitting proposals. However, no portion of this BAA will be set aside for HBCU and MI participation due to the impracticality of reserving discrete or severable areas of this research for exclusive competition among these entities.
4. Contracts, grants, or assistance instruments may be awarded as a result of this BAA, as appropriate. Notice of the Broad Agency Announcement shall be posted to the Federal Business Opportunities (fedbizopps.gov) and Federal Grant Opportunities (fedgrants.gov) websites.
5. In order to streamline the proposal process and to assist offerors in determining whether to incur the cost of generating a formal BAA proposal, it is requested that offerors first submit a summary white paper for preliminary consideration. Summary white papers may be submitted at any time after issuance of this BAA through the expiration date thereof (9 November 2005). White papers will be considered as soon as they are received. Acknowledgment of receipt of white papers will not be made, and white papers will not be returned. All proprietary material should be clearly marked and will be held in the strictest confidence. The initial screening will minimize unnecessary effort and expense in proposal preparation and review. The SMDC DARPA Office will ask only those offerors with promising white papers to submit full technical and cost proposals for formal evaluation. The SMDC DARPA Office will notify offerors within six (6) months of white paper receipt if a full proposal is requested. White papers not selected for full proposal submission will be disposed of in a manner that protects proprietary data.
6. Formal BAA proposals may be submitted without submission and review of a white paper. Offerors are encouraged to use the Summary White Paper process described above and may submit a formal proposal even if the government does not request it. Issuance of the BAA or any request for submission of a proposal does not obligate the Government to pay any proposal preparation costs.
Complete BAA with information on submission of white papers and proposal is available on-line at the website shown below (select: Business/Broad Agency Announcements)
Who can apply:
Nonprofits Having A 501(C)(3) Status With The IRS, Other Than Institutions Of Higher Education
Other Private Institution/Organization
Private Institutions Of Higher Education
Private Nonprofit Institution/Organization (Includes Institutions Of Higher Education, Hospitals)
Public And State Controlled Institutions Of Higher Education
Eligible functional categories:
Basic and Applied Scientific Research
BROAD AGENCY ANNOUNCEMENT (BAA) W9113M-05-0009
If you have problems accessing the full announcement, please contact:
US Army Space and Missile Defense Command, Deputy Commander, ATTN SMDC-CM-AP, P.O. Box 1500, Huntsville, AL 35807-3801